BBQ’s and their Carbon Monoxide Dangers

Four in five are unaware of barbecue carbon monoxide dangers!

Brits are as concerned about damaging garden plants as suffering from CO poisoning when barbecuing

With half the nation (52%) planning on barbecuing an average of five times for family and friends in 2017, Gas Safe Register is issuing a stark reminder to be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Recent research has revealed that the majority (80%) of people do not identify CO poisoning as a potential danger when barbecuing, instead selecting food poisoning (67%), burns (51%), child safety (49%), garden fires (29%) and drunken accidents (27%) as the main barbecue hazards.

In fact, CO poisoning was placed only slightly ahead of concerns about damaging the garden or plants (19%) when barbecuing.

Known as ‘the silent killer’, CO gas has no colour, taste or smell and can have fatal consequences. Gas Safe Register is therefore sharing the following barbecue safety tips and urging people to keep themselves safe by learning the symptoms of CO poisoning.

Barbecue safety tips:

  • Never use a barbecue inside

  • Don’t take a smouldering or lit barbecue into a tent, caravan or cabin. Even if you’ve finished cooking, your barbecue can still give off fumes, so keep it outside

  • Always ensure you can see your lit barbecue and don’t leave it lit whilst sleeping

  • Use your barbecue in accordance with the operating instructions

  • Be aware of the signs and symptoms of CO poisoning – headaches, nausea, breathlessness, dizziness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

Get in Touch

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

plumbing and heating Shropshire
plumbing and heating Shropshire
plumbing and heating Shropshire

Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!

More Posts You May Find Interesting

Get in Touch

We are here for all of your plumbing and heating needs!

Get in Touch