FOUR IN FIVE UNAWARE OF BARBECUE CARBON MONOXIDE DANGER

Brits are as concerned about damaging garden plants as suffering from CO poisoning when barbecuing

Recent research has revealed that the majority (80%) of people do not identify CO poisoning as a potential danger when barbecuing, instead selecting food poisoning (67%), burns (51%), child safety (49%), garden fires (29%) and drunken accidents (27%) as the main barbecue hazards.

In fact, CO poisoning was placed only slightly ahead of concerns about damaging the garden or plants (19%) when barbecuing.

Known as ‘the silent killer’, CO gas has no colour, taste or smell and can have fatal consequences. Gas Safe Register is therefore sharing the following barbecue safety tips and urging people to keep themselves safe by learning the symptoms of CO poisoning.  

Barbecue safety tips:

  • Never use a barbecue inside
  • Don’t take a smouldering or lit barbecue into a tent, caravan or cabin. Even if you’ve finished cooking, your barbecue can still give off fumes, so keep it outside
  • Always ensure you can see your lit barbecue and don’t leave it lit whilst sleeping
  • Use your barbecue in accordance with the operating instructions
  • Be aware of the signs and symptoms of CO poisoning – headaches, nausea, breathlessness, dizziness, collapse and loss of consciousness.